By Helen Squire
If, like me, you can’t face yet another cheese sandwich you might like to try some new ideas for simple, healthy and affordable lunches.
TORTILLA PIZZAS AND SALAD (Serves 2)
- Spread a table spoon of tomato puree over two wraps, top with a 1/2 sliced pepper, 2 mushrooms and a handful of grated cheese.
- Fold in half and gently fry on each side. Serve with a salad of three grated carrots and two sliced tomatoes.
- You can experiment with toppings, perhaps adding some cooked chicken, ham or any other veg that is a winner in your house.
SIMPLE OMELETTES (Serves 2)
- Slice 250g mushrooms and fry in 1tsp oil and 1tsp butter until golden.
- Add 4 beaten eggs and cook to your liking.
- You can experiment with fillings here too, perhaps adding some cheese or ham.
TUNA PASTA SALAD (Serves 2)
- Cook two handfuls of pasta and toss with a tin of tuna and two quartered tomatoes.
- Serve with crunchy chopped carrots and peppers.
VEGETABLE EGG FRIED RICE (Serves 2)
- Dice your veg (1/2 pepper, 1 carrot and 2 mushrooms) and set to one side.
- Boil ½ cup of rice.
- While the rice is boiling stir fry your veg, adding a splash of soy sauce or Chinese five spice to the mix. Beat in 1 egg until scrambled.
- Drain the rice and add to your veg mix. Stir well, and top with spring onions if you have them.
EASY, CHEESY PASTA
- Cook two handfuls of pasta, crush the garlic and gently fry.
- Add in your choice of leftover vegetables from earlier in the week and fry.
- Drain the pasta, add the vegetables and stir in two tablespoons of cream cheese.
Shopping list for these dishes:
- 1 pack tortilla wraps
- 1 bag of pasta
- 1 bag of rice
- 1 can tuna
- 6 eggs
- 1 block of cheddar cheese
- Cream cheese
Fruits and Vegetables:
- 1 pack of mushrooms
- 1 pack of cherry tomatoes
- 2 peppers
- 1 bag of carrots
- 1 bulb od garlic
- Tomato puree
Leftovers can be used to make lunch wraps, pasta bakes or rice salads for tea.