Engage is an area within Gardens site which has been established for those students who need more flexibility and pastoral support within their working day.
Engage is a supportive and empowering setting that aims to dismantle the many obstacles that young people face during their time in education. This is achieved by providing the students in Engage with an education that is of high quality teaching but also nurturing and trauma informed.
Pupils are referred by the multi-disciplinary team at Newhaven. Some students may have a brief stay in Engage (minimum of two weeks), returning to the Gardens for the rest of their education, whilst others, may find that this area of the school fits their needs better.
Structured differently to the rest of the school, pupils attend Engage either from 9am to 12pm, or 12pm to 2:30pm. Lessons are more personalised to the individual learning needs of each student, therefore, typically, the timings of the lessons are shorter in comparison to the Gardens.
Lessons are either taught by the Head of Engage; a dedicated learning support assistant attached to Engage or subject specific teachers in a calm and soothing environment. Work is highly differentiated with lots of opportunities for 1:1 support.
Students in Engage are provided the opportunity to study the following subjects:
- GCSE English/ Entry Level English
- GCSE Maths/ Functional Skills/ Entry Level Math
- Entry Level History
- Other subjects such as science; sport and food lessons are delivered without the pressure of a qualification, allowing students to participate and access learning at their own pace and allow for more creativity
In addition to the academic subjects offered in Engage, students will also have the opportunity to attend Shooters Hill College every Thursday to study either:
- Building Services
In Engage students will also be provided with the option to attend a regular work experience programme, they will discuss with the Head of Engage what their areas of interest are and with support from Newhaven’s CIEAG Lead, Paige Crosby, a suitable placement can be sourced.
The uniform expectation in Engage is the same as the uniform policy for Gardens:
- Appropriate footwear – trainers or school shoes
- Black trousers, leggings or skirt
- A white shirt or polo shirt with a Newhaven crest. Shirts must tucked into trousers or skirt (shirts do not need to be tucked into leggings)
- A school tie of acceptable length. This is not necessary where a risk assessment or previous trauma makes it unviable.
- A Newhaven jumper or black cardigan supplied by school
- A Newhaven blazer for Year 11 students
Head of Engage: Ms S Duplock
LSA & Instructor: Mr B Ojo